.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, February 25, 2008

Neoclassic Buttercream



The icing that I had to use when I took my cake decorating class was made of shortening and powdered sugar. Even though it was easy to learn on, and it's what many bakeries use, I simply couldn't bear to have it in my mouth.

Fear no more! Rose Levy Beranbaum's Neoclassic Buttercream is pure butter and fabulous! I was scared to make it (add boiling scary-hot sugar syrup to egg yolks, beat like crazy, add lots & lots of butter, continue beating like crazy), but now that I've tried, there's no going back. It's light and smooth, super delicious. Since today was just practice icing on practice cupcakes, I left everything very plain. I can hardly wait to use different flavors.

Her recipe for Mousseline Buttercream is stiffer, supposedly more appropriate for piping decorations. So I will try that next.

5 Comments:

At 2/25/2008 9:57 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Thanks for posting this! I'm interested in hearing your follow-up. I made a buttercream for a chocolate cake a couple of weeks ago (from Whole Grain Baking) and it wasn't delicious. Too sweet.

 
At 2/25/2008 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm good...Looking good Lizzie!

 
At 2/26/2008 12:50 AM, Blogger Heleen said...

You have been busy baking!! Love those cupcakes and the buttercream, they look so good I'd bite into them if my computer let me :o).

 
At 2/26/2008 8:59 AM, Blogger Jess said...

nice work amy! i'm proud of you for tackling buttercream...it is so much better than the powdered sugar stuff!

 
At 2/26/2008 2:36 PM, Blogger Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Those cupcakes look really pretty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home