.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How Big Are My Blobs?


Left to right:
2 Tablespoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, 6 blobs


Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day
is my current obsession. I saw a variation for Vermont Cheddar Bread, and it reminded me that Jess makes Chipotle Cheddar Sourdough, so I decided to add chipotle.

Whenever I open a can of chipotle in adobo, I dump it straight into the blender, puree it, and freeze it in little blobs using a mold I reserve for that purpose only. I don't know the orginal purpose of the mold; I think I inherited it somehow. After the blobs are frozen, I put them in a zipper bag for easy retrieval whenever I want a bit of chipotle. One of my favorites is in aioli, but I use it in a lot of other things too.

In making the bread, I wasn't sure how much to add. I don't mind tasting raw cake batter or cookie dough, but raw bread dough just doesn't do it for me. So I added blobs until it started smelling hot and then quit. For the full recipe in that article, it would be 6 blobs. Which begs the question of course, "How big are your blobs?"

I originally estimated that each blob is a teaspoon and that 6 would be 2 Tablespoons. However upon comparing the blobs to measuring utensils, it appears that a blob is a heaping teaspoon, not a level one. Of course it's all subjective anyway, and I've had some chipotles that were hotter than fire using only a dab, not even a blob.

The bread is excellent, by the way. 1-2 more blobs and twice as much cheddar and it would be perfect.

5 Comments:

At 2/13/2008 8:09 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I really want to make that cheesy bread. I'm glad I could help feed your new obsession! I just got someone at work to get the book. Apparently also my new obsession. :)

 
At 2/13/2008 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, homemade cheese bread. That is a big plus with both. That looks yummy!

Love you, Mom

 
At 2/16/2008 4:07 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I was looking at that recipe. Do you think the cheese should be tossed with some of the flour before adding it? To keep it from clumping?

I made the master recipe this week, which turned out absolutely perfect. Despite being deathly ill!

 
At 2/16/2008 8:42 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Deathly ill??????? Do you need me? CALL!

I didn't have any clumpage.

 
At 2/23/2008 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! They were pretty good if I do say so myself. Smelled Great!

Nice blobs!

-Johnny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home