.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, June 14, 2010

Strawberry Ice Cream

My friend Jess loaned the ice cream attachment for a Kitchen Aid mixer to me so I could try before I buy. I'd intended to make mint chip ice cream, because I had a huge bouquet of freshly harvested mint. But I used it to make jalapeno mint jelly (where's that blog entry?), and was thusly mintless. Go ahead, call me out on that, as there's clearly a sprig in the photo. While not technically mintless, I didn't have enough to make mint chip ice cream, with mint being the star, not the garnish.

Gary came home with 3 pounds of strawberries on top of the pound I'd already purchased. Didn't take long to figure out my next step. Off to the interwebthingie I went, looking for recipes.

Sour cream may sound like an odd ingredient for ice cream, but it does two things here: it balances the sweetness and it adds incredible richness. Everybody knows that heavy cream alone wouldn't be rich enough! A touch of kirsch (I do seem to have a well-stocked liquor cabinet!) adds subtle flavor, and also its alcohol keeps the ice cream from freezing too hard.

A while back I had the pleasure of taking a cooking class that David Lebovitz taught at Central Market. The man knows what he's doing. This stuff is GOOD.

Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream, The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz


At 6/14/2010 4:23 PM, Blogger shubbe said...

Woah. I didn't know such a Kitchenaid attachment existed. Having tested, you would recommend?

At 6/14/2010 4:32 PM, Blogger Jess said...

yeah! glad you made ice cream...now do you feel like "why did i wait so long" :D

At 6/14/2010 4:32 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Yes! Like a Donvier or Cuisinart, you do have to freeze the bowl before you use it, so if freezer space is at a premium, that's a problem. Scarily enough, I have three freezers, so that's the least of my worries.

At 6/14/2010 6:00 PM, Blogger mikeINaustin said...

oh the milkshakes we could make!
; )


Post a Comment

<< Home