.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, June 14, 2010

Strawberry Ice Cream



My friend Jess loaned the ice cream attachment for a Kitchen Aid mixer to me so I could try before I buy. I'd intended to make mint chip ice cream, because I had a huge bouquet of freshly harvested mint. But I used it to make jalapeno mint jelly (where's that blog entry?), and was thusly mintless. Go ahead, call me out on that, as there's clearly a sprig in the photo. While not technically mintless, I didn't have enough to make mint chip ice cream, with mint being the star, not the garnish.

Gary came home with 3 pounds of strawberries on top of the pound I'd already purchased. Didn't take long to figure out my next step. Off to the interwebthingie I went, looking for recipes.

Sour cream may sound like an odd ingredient for ice cream, but it does two things here: it balances the sweetness and it adds incredible richness. Everybody knows that heavy cream alone wouldn't be rich enough! A touch of kirsch (I do seem to have a well-stocked liquor cabinet!) adds subtle flavor, and also its alcohol keeps the ice cream from freezing too hard.

A while back I had the pleasure of taking a cooking class that David Lebovitz taught at Central Market. The man knows what he's doing. This stuff is GOOD.

Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream, The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz

4 Comments:

At 6/14/2010 4:23 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Woah. I didn't know such a Kitchenaid attachment existed. Having tested, you would recommend?

 
At 6/14/2010 4:32 PM, Blogger Jess said...

yeah! glad you made ice cream...now do you feel like "why did i wait so long" :D

 
At 6/14/2010 4:32 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Yes! Like a Donvier or Cuisinart, you do have to freeze the bowl before you use it, so if freezer space is at a premium, that's a problem. Scarily enough, I have three freezers, so that's the least of my worries.

 
At 6/14/2010 6:00 PM, Blogger MW said...

oh the milkshakes we could make!
; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home